Point and Click vs Click

Dec 12, 2013 at 2:25 PM
Hello,

There have been cases where we are not able to click on an control because there is another control blocking it. In these cases we have used the PointAndClick action, which clicks in the center of the control to get around the problem.

This brought up a question. Why would we ever want to use Click, when PointAndClick basically does the same thing, only better because we avoid the cases where the click fails? Is there a performance hit by using PointAndClick in the place of Click in all places.

Thanks

Jeff
Dec 16, 2013 at 6:22 PM
Hi,

I have used both "PointAndClick" and "Click" function in my CUITe automated scripts. So far I have found two differences between them:
  1. PointAndClick function usually takes longer to execute than the Click function. This difference may or may not be visible for a given control in your application, but for an application with an average of 20+ controls I have seen a difference of +5sec for Automated script replay whenever I have used "PointAndClick" exclusively instead of just "Click" for all controls.
  2. "PointAndClick" command seems to fail whenever I am executing the Automated script in a RDP environment and then minimize the Remote Desktop of if the Remote Desktop locks up. This seems to imply that "PointAndClick" actually requires the mouse pointer to change it's physical location to a point where the desired control is situated.
In case you face the same issues of your RDP connection/ VMWare Desktop/ VMs on a Hyper V setup locking up. Download the below zip file and execute the appropriate registry script that prevents the system in question from locking up period.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/vephec24n5lj2hm/DisableLockWorkstation.zip

Regards,
Ankit
Dec 16, 2013 at 7:56 PM
Ankit,

Thanks for the info. That is good to know.

We ran into the same problem with RDP. We overcame it by transferring the active session to the console. It allows for an active session so the automation doesn't fail. We put the following command into a batch file and use this to close the RDP session rather than logging off or killing the session:

%windir%\System32\tscon.exe %sessionname% /dest:console

Thanks again.

Jeff